The emergency lights in your office space, corridors, elevators and stairwells will activate automatically if the building has a power failure. Power failures are normally for a short period of time, and it is best to remain in your work area if possible. Property management will notify you of the status of the outage if it becomes lengthy.
- In the event of a power failure, all electrical systems in the building will go off for approximately two or three seconds and then the emergency generator power system will supply electricity to minimal corridor lighting, emergency stairwell & exit lighting and fire pumps.
- The elevators are automatically recalled to the ground floor to let out anyone who may be trapped inside. The generator will power one elevator cab per elevator bank to be recalled to the ground floor. Once that elevator has reached the ground floor, the generator will energize the next elevator in each bank until all elevator cabs have reached the ground. Please note this process is time consuming and the elevator you may be in might be the last in line to be energized. All elevators cabs are equipped with battery back-up lighting.
- All stairwell doors will unlock allowing free access from floor to floor by way of the stairwells.
- Once all the elevators have reached the ground floor, the freight elevator can be manually operated to assist in the evacuation of handicapped, elderly persons, pregnant women or any other individual requiring assistance.
- Each tenant should have a battery-powered transistor radio so that they may listen to the local news in the event of an area wide blackout. Please remember to check radio batteries regularly.
- Tenants should turn off all electrical equipment in their suites to prevent an electrical surge that could potentially damage such equipment, once power is restored.
- In the event that a tenant has an emergency, they may call the property management office or security desk for assistance.
- For general information concerning the blackout, tenants can send one individual to the security desk in the Lobby to find out the status of the situation or stay tuned to the radio if the blackout involves a major area of the City.
Restoration of Power
- When power is restored, all emergency systems will go off for approximately two or three seconds and then all systems will be restored to regular power.
- Regular elevator service will resume.
- The building HVAC system will energize. Please remember that although it will immediately be turned on, the air conditioning system may take some time to cool the building. This is especially true if the blackout lasts a few hours.
- Individual tenant problems will be corrected. Due to the amount of power passing through the building when the power is restored, circuit breakers may be tripped. If a tenant does not have total electrical supply restored to their suite, they should contact the property management office and someone will be dispatched as soon as possible.
In the event of a power failure (see section in this manual), Mandalay Tower has a 750 kilowatt emergency diesel generator, which will supply electricity to emergency lights, the Fire Alarm system, the fire pumps and restricted elevator cabs. This system does not power electrical outlets, HVAC systems or normal lighting.